Meet the Board of Directors and SMA Team
The volunteer board of director’s vision is to establish the field of sustainability management as a management norm. Thank you to our members and directors for transforming leadership through education, collaboration, and innovation. We are proud to serve the mission of accrediting professionals who will lead organizations for economic performance, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility.
Vision, Mission, and Purpose
Together, we can all accomplish the vision of creating sustainability management as recognized field and rapidly growing a certified workforce.
SMA’s mission is to provide a professional association for change agents who manage for social responsibility, economic responsibility, and environmental stewardship, as well as certify individuals to give members a competitive advantage and a mark of excellence.
The purpose of the SMA is to be the first choice for sustainability professionals who seek educational opportunities to learn, or keep abreast of, the knowledge, skills, and abilities of sustainability management in any industry or sector. Every single member is contributing to a better world as tomorrow is greater than today.
Please contact us if you would dedicate your time and talent to the board of directors and the membership.
- Chair of the Board - Climate Incorporated
- Vice Chair - Green H20 Systems
Mary Jo Press
- Secretary - Tesla, Inc.
- Treasurer - Roebbelen Contracting, Inc.
- Director - North Lake College
- Director - California Water Service Company
- Director - SynTech Global, Inc.
- Director - GreenTraks
- Director - Powersmiths
- Director - ECI Group, Inc.
- Director - SunPower by Alternative Energy Systems
- Director - Los Angeles World Airports, Environmental Manager
Yuti Huang, Ph.D.
- Vice Chair - MSM, Inc. and Dominican University
- Director - US Coast Guard and Sustainable Management Solutions
- Director - Waste Mangement
- Director - JS Products, Inc.
- Director - NYC Health + Hospitals
- Director - EMCOR Services - Betlem
- Project Management Lead and Past Volunteer Manager
- Volunteer Manager and Project Management Lead
Paulina Figueora Prado
- Virtual Career Fair Project Manager and Social Media Team
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Event Coordinator
- Event Coordinator
- Event Coordinator
Meet the Advisory Board
Please contact us if you would like to actively contribute your talents to the the growth of the association, provide service to the membership, and work alongside the board of directors to grow the field of sustainability management.
- Advisory Board
(Past President and Vice President) Waste Management
Peter Perrault, SMCP
- Advisory Board EnerNOC
- Director - Butte County Air Quality Management District
- Advisory Board - Schneider Electric
Jim Westerman, Ph.D.
- Advisory Board - Appalachian State University
- Advisory Board - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Advisory Board - Santa Clara University
- Advisory Board - Goshen College
The Sustainability Management Association (SMA) was founded in 2012 by 65-professionals from diverse business industries, governmental and nonprofit professionals with the purpose of educating professionals on how to manage sustainability in any type of organization. The founding team created the first accredited certification exam and study guide for management of sustainability strategies. Today the mission remains the same – our purpose is to help professionals learn how to effectively manage sustainability.
SMA is member funded. Over 2500+ members drive economic performance and create stakeholder value through social responsibility and environmental stewardship. SMA highlights member products, services, and sustainability initiatives in newsletters. In addition, members host educational webinars that are free and open to the public. SMA welcomes professionals from all industries to learn about sustainability, learn from each other, and proudly manage for sustainability.
As a complement to the SMA and a sign of the maturation of the sustainability profession, the Sustainability Management Certified Professional (SMCP) certification has now been established for five years. This certification validates its recipient’s ability to create organizational change by generating new revenue opportunities, enhancing brand reputation, and reducing risk and cost, all while promoting sustainable practices.
Come join us on the journey to transform leadership!
SMA was formed in 2012, after two-years of developing the certification’s body of knowledge to conform to the Institute of Credentialing Excellence (ICE) standards. The standards and body of knowledge for the certification examination have been formed with the collaborative efforts of many respected business, academic, government, and non-profit leaders.
The vision behind creating the certification is to enable the wide dissemination of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of professionals in sustainability management so that these skillsets become management norms. Any professional, in any type of workplace setting, can strategically manage for economic performance, social responsibility, and environmental stewardship simultaneously.
Professionals in any role or department can manage for sustainability. Participation from every department is essential to aligning business systems around the organization’s strategy. Therefore, this certification is intended for professionals in human resource management, operations management, engineering, production, procurement, equipment, health and safety, fleet and facility management, information technology, accounting, finance, marketing, and of course sustainability and environmental management.
Change management throughout the workplace can be achieved through aligning business systems to meet organizational strategies. Thereby, senior, middle-level, and front line managers align tactics to achieve long-term strategic priorities as a single system.
The certification examination is written for professionals in any job role, in any workplace setting, to perfect a key skillset that enhances decision-making and process improvement.Learn how to manage for sustainability through the study guide first. Then we welcome you to sit for the exam to attain certification. (See more certification page.)
Thank you to all of the organizations that have dedicated their time and effort to develop the first professional certification for sustainability management:
- All-Points Petroleum
- Butte County Air Quality Management District
- CA Environmental Protection Agency
- CA Water Services Company
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Chabin Concepts
- CSU, Chico’s Institute of Sustainable Development
- CSU, Chico’s College of Business
- Dennis Gawlik—U of WA Emeritus
- Evergreen 6, A PG&E Solar School
- Fair Trade USA
- Frito Lay
- Green Hotel Association
- Green Seal
- Helen Cox—CSU, Northridge
- Hewlett Packard
- Holistic Management International
- Hyunjung Kim—CSU, Chico Dept. of Management
- IBM Global Business
- J.M. Smucker
- Jeff Trailer—CSU, Chico Department of Management
- Joe Greene—CSU, Chico—Sustainable Manufacturing
- Kimpton Hotels
- Lee Altier—CSU, Chico Department of Agriculture
- Lundberg Family Farms
- Marine Stewardship Council
- Michael Rehg, CSU, Chico Department of Management
- Neal Road Recycling and Waste Facility
- Northgate Petroleum
- Pacific Living Properties, Inc.
- Pepsi Co.
- Peterson Power Systems
- Proctor and Gamble
- Ray Boykin—CSU, Chico Department of MIS
- REUp Power, Inc.
- Roebbelen Contracting Inc.
- Rose Luke—University of Johannesburg
- Scientific Certification Systems
- Shaw Contract Group
- Sherwin Williams
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Sierra Pacific Packaging Inc.
- Smurfit Stone
- U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Upper Crust Bakery
- Waste Management
- Wendy Brooke—U of Wisconsin, Platteville
California State University, Chico has played a major role in incubating the idea of the certification. Thank you for all of your support and leadership. In particular, SMA thanks the host of talented student interns that have contributed to the project’s success:
- Devin Middlebrook
- Shasta Chambers
- Amanda Leonis
- Jill Loewen
- Sara Hopes
- Alex Biery
- Nolan Tatro
- Colleen Cole
- Kevin Foley
- Brittany Marino
- Terrence Scoville
- Nicholas Tedrow
- Katherine Barbin
- Danielle Buis
- Paulina Prado-Figueroa
- Shelby Abbott
- Elizabeth Herrick
- Mayela Luevano
- Sonya Ayala
- Alison Turner
- Samantha Herron
- Emily Hilbes
- Shady Makar Armanious
- Blake Beesley
- Amber Bolstad
- Alyssa Stephenson
- Sophia Graves
- Landon Akhtar
- Sonya Ayala
- Timothy Majewski
- Hasani Barrett
- Sarah Berry